List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: qmail as lotus notes and ms exchange
From:       Andrew McCall <it.andrew.mccall () oldham ! gov ! uk>
Date:       2002-06-27 15:20:18

On Thursday 27 June 2002 2:22 pm, you wrote:
> I have in my work, ms echange and outlook clients working too active
> directory.
> all mensages are centralized in ms exchange ( as lotus notes ), when I open
> outlook, I view my email that are within ms exchange,
>
> Qmail with ldap able to do samething  ??

It can do a very similar thing using these programs : (I think that IMAP is the \
"service" you are after)

OpenLDAP - http://www.openldap.org/
qmail-1.03 - http://www.qmail.org/
qmail-ldap-1.03-20020501a http://www.nrg4u.com/
Courier-IMAP - http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/

If you wanted the webmail you could also try :

SquirrelMail http://www.squirrelmail.org/
SqWebMail http://www.inter7.com/sqwebmail/

Finally add a virus checker and voila - a nice setup :)

Read http://www.lifewithqmail.org

then read http://www.lifewithqmail.org/ldap/

Install and your good to go.

You can also point you address book to the ldap to use as a central address book.

The only thing that you are going to be missing is diary functions such as meeting \
invitation etc. I know there is a product that back ends onto a  MySQL/PostgreSQL \
database, but I can't find the page I read about it on.

Oh.. you won't have the crashes/viruses/slowness/bloat and security risks of a
badly administrated Exchange server. A "normal" install of qmail pretty much
runs itself :)

--
Thanks

Andrew McCall