List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: OT: no qmail/postfix in Evi's book
From:       peter green <pcg () ais ! cx>
Date:       2002-04-30 21:48:51

* Felix von Leitner <leitner@fefe.de> [020430 14:39]:
> Excuse me?  A Fortune 500 company that is unable to download and apply
> some patches does not deserve to stay in Fortune 500.  Your szenario
> appears to be quite academic to me.  Which company did you have in mind?
>
> My experience with Fortune 500 companies is: they hire someone to do it
> for them.  That someone can suggest qmail, and he then integrates it
> with all the patches he deems necessary.  In my case that is normally
> no patches at all or the STARTTLS patch.

Good point. Okay, what about non-Fortune 500 companies? Those that, say,
don't have the resources to invest in someone who knows how to patch and
maintain qmail? (BTW, what *is* your experience with Fortune 500 companies?
Mine is that qmail never comes into the picture anyway.)

When faced with qmail, which requires patching and/or part replacements, and
ProductB, which works out of the box, what is the impetus to choose qmail? I
guess you can talk a lot about not losing mail and stuff, but if it doesn't
provide what the company needs (or perceives it needs), I don't see how its
reliability will matter?

/pg
--
Peter Green : Architekton Internet Services, LLC : pcg@ais.cx