List:       qmail
Subject:    Re: smtp connection died ....cjk
From:       Scott Gifford <sgifford () suspectclass ! com>
Date:       2002-04-29 16:26:01

"Constantine J. Koulis" <kouliscon@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello all.
> I looked at the log and i have the following errors :
> Connected_to_1.1.1.1_but_connection_died
>
> also :
>
> Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._

It's normal to get some of these.  There's a good chance that the mail
server that you're trying to send mail to is having problems.

You can make sure your qmail is working OK by sending mail to a server
you know is working.

If you're getting error messages like this for every host, it's
probably a network problem on your mail server.  Use tools like ping,
traceroute, and telnet to figure out where the problem lies.

If that doesn't help, post more information---what email addresses are
causing that, the exact line from the logs, and a demonstration that
you can telnet to the problem host on port 25 and carry on a normal
SMTP conversation.

Good luck!

----ScottG.