List:       qgis-user
Subject:    Re: [Qgis-user] Profile section digitising
From:       John Layt <jlayt () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-09-13 10:25:55

On 12 September 2016 at 14:49, Lester Anderson <arctica1963@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had advice or ideas about digitising profile
> data (say on a geological cross-section) that is referenced to a
> polyline in the project,

This is something we've been working on for archaeological use cases.
At the moment we digitise our sections using false coordinates, then
use composer to show both the plan and section views. We cheat by
storing the 2D plan coordinates in real space so they show up in
spatial queries and can be visualised by setting a buffer around them,
but they're not really linked in a data or ui sense.

Longer term, I have a cunning plan to start using the new-ish 3D
geometry engine to store the sections in 3D so they can live in the
same shapefiles and so be properly queried, and by clicking on the
section line in plan view a pop-up window shows the section by
flipping the y and z coordinates on the fly. Unfortunately it's on a
very long list of such ideas...

There's also a plugin called Midvatten which does borehole data which
may have some ideas you could borrow.

John.