List:       qgis-user
Subject:    Re: [Qgis-user] EPSG:27700 - OSGB 1936 / British National Grid shapefiles are incorrectly interprete
From:       Andre Joost <andre+joost () nurfuerspam ! de>
Date:       2013-01-31 16:35:43

As long as *all* your project and data is in EPSG:27700, you will not =

see any difference. But as soon as you add Google or openstreetmap tiles =

with openlayersplugin, or data from other sources in other CRS, the =

+towgs84 datum shift parameters comes into effect. The values used up to =

QGIS 1.7.4 were quiet good, QGIS 1.8.0 sadly returned to some =

low-accuracy parameters. For best accuracy, OS has issued a ntv2 grid file.

The .prj file by ESRI does not have any information on datum shift =

values incorporated. Mainly because there are several choices to do the =

transformation with different accuracy and complexity, as stated above.

HTH,
Andr=E9 Joost

Am 31.01.2013 14:25, schrieb Andrew Chapman:
> Pardon my ignorance here - I'm not (nor do I wish to become) a GIS expert
> with detailed knowledge of all the ins and outs of CRSs. While I can
> understand that to some users it could be critical to know with ultimate
> accuracy the location of any specified point as a world coordinate, what
> ultimately matters to me is to be able to agree with other users that we
> consistently interpret our mapping data in the same way - point A is alwa=
ys
> in the same place on each of our systems, subject obviously to specifying
> the CRS.
>
> Using shapefiles, as I understand it, the .prj file specifies how everyth=
ing
> should line up. For OSGB 1936 this has historically been
>
> PROJCS["OSGB_1936_British_National_Grid",GEOGCS["GCS_OSGB
> 1936",DATUM["D_OSGB_1936",SPHEROID["Airy_1830",6377563.396,299.3249646]],=
PRI