List:       qgis-user
Subject:    Re: [Qgis-user] qgis on ubuntu 12
From:       Lee Hachadoorian <Lee.Hachadoorian+L () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-04-29 16:56:12

On 04/28/2012 12:14 PM, Salvatore Larosa wrote:
> Il giorno sab, 28/04/2012 alle 11.38 -0400, Jake Maier ha scritto:
> > I just got so annoyed by another crash on windows (annoyed by the recovery \
> > process) that I decided what I should have done a long time ago. I switched to \
> > Ubuntu 12.04. So I'm very new to the operating system but really like what I see \
> > so far. Now I need to get qgis to Ubuntu 12.04. How do I do this with the least \
> > amount of pain  :) Thanks for any pointers.
> > Jake
> http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/Download#Ubuntu
>
> Regards,
>
> -SL
Jake,

The above instructions might not be clear if you're new to Ubuntu. Basic
procedure is (1) add a repository or PPA (personal packages archive) to
your software sources, (2) install package via package manager. Step 0
is choosing a software source. Options include qgis.org,
ubuntugis-stable, and ubuntugis-unstable.

I would recommend ubuntugis-unstable, which, in spite of the name, is
pretty stable, and has a host of other useful GIS software that you
might want to explore.
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable
<https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable> has
information about what packages are available, as well as very clear
instructions on how to add the PPA to your software sources. More
information on the UbuntuGIS project is available at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS.

Welcome to Ubuntu!

--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD, Earth&  Environmental Sciences (Geography)