List:       qemu-devel
Subject:    Re: [Qemu-devel] Newbie Qeustions
From:       "Thomas Munn" <munntj () shands ! ufl ! edu>
Date:       2004-08-30 13:31:16

Dear Lonnie:

Several issues:

1.  QEMU-FAST only works with a specially modified kernel to which the
appropriate patch has been applied on the GUEST (not host) side.

2.  Haven't used user-net, but I can provide a somewhat working tun
script (allows outside access to box).  --user-net DOES NOT use the tun
device, it emulates user mode over ppp???(not sure on this I am sure
list will correct!), however the tun device is used for "actual"
networking, and called via the -n /path/to/script (very hard to find,
can post (there are several others floating around the list).

Hope this helps

Thomas

>>>lonnie@neenet.com 08/28 12:28 pm >>>
Hello All,

I am QEMU and would like to use it to work with a new Linux Distro that
I am trying to build. Looks like it will save me a lot of work in not
having to re-boot all of the time.

My host machine is a Linux Mandrake 10.0 version and I have installed
the QEMU along with reading over the documentation as well.

I try to run "qemu-fast -user-net linux.img"

after downloading the linux.img file from

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

The problem is that even though I have made the TUN device like

mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
add the proper alias to the /etc/modules.conf
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

QEMU cannot seem to find the ethernet connection when the linux.img
boots.

Not sure what is happening here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,