List:       pywikipediabot-users
Subject:    Re: [pyWikipediaBot-users] Pagefromfile.py Question
From:       "Andre Engels" <andreengels () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-27 16:02:05

2006/5/24, Tim Doyle <tim@greenscourt.com>:> I am attempting to create a set of \
redirect pages on my wiki and I am having> a few problems.>> Here are the issues that \
I am encountering:>> 1. Why do the titles of the pages to be created have to be \
included in the> contents of the page? I know the hack is to put it in a comment, but \
why> doesn't the file that the script reads from just use a format such as> \
{{-titlestart-}}title{{-titlestop-}} and> \
{{-contentstart-}}contents{{-contentstop-}}? Quite simple, the bot had been written \
for a specific occasion. Inthat occasion, this was the case, so there was no need to \
do itotherwise. After that, I am not sure it has ever been used again, butif it has, \
apparently it has not been a problem.
> P.S. Yes, I know it seems a bit backwards to be creating redirect pages when> the \
> original pages already exist. My goal here is to give my users an easy &> \
> consistent way to link to a large set of pages. These existing pages all> have a \
> reference number, followed by a title. The users know the reference> numbers, but \
> currently need to look up the full title in order to link to> these pages. By \
> creating the redirect pages with just the reference numbers,> they can link to them \
> without knowing the full name. I need to keep the real> pages named as they are \
> currently with the full name so searches will> display relevant information in the \
> titles.
To me this sounds that there is an easier way to do this - make a botthat goes \
through the pages (or rather, the page titles since itdoesn't even need to load \
them), extracts the reference number fromthe page title by itself and then creates \
the redirect. If you tell mewhat the titles look like, I can write that in 5 lines or \
                so (orrather, 5 lines extra or deleted to what I already have in \
                basic.py).
-- Andre Engels, andreengels@gmail.comICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: \
a_engels[ayoj{Z(|tz,).^ \
-jwQeڊw!'"j{N^^tvqjبȧbv-/jvƥJiX \