List:       pythonmac-sig
Subject:    Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Problem installing pyobjc
From:       Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren () mac ! com>
Date:       2013-07-30 22:15:55

On 31 Jul, 2013, at 0:13, Nicholas Cole <nicholas.cole@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren@mac.com> wrote:
>
> On 30 Jul, 2013, at 21:28, Nicholas Cole <nicholas.cole@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren@mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'll have to do some more debugging to find out what's going wrong here.
> >
> > Could you share some more information about your setup:
> >
> > * What is the version of OSX?
> >
> > * How was python installed, using an installer on www.python.org or through some \
> > other method?
> > * Which version of Xcode is on the machine?
> >
> > BTW. I just tried installing pyobjc in a virtualenv on a 10.8 machine with the \
> > latest Xcode 4 and that worked without problems.
> > OK. I've updated python to the latest production version of 2.7.5 using the \
> > installer provided by python.org.
> > I'm running the latest version of Xcode, on OS X 10.8.4.
> >
> > All of the errors persist.
>
> Odd. One thing you could check: are the Xcode command-line tools installed and \
> up-to-date (you can check this in the preference window of Xcode, on the Downloads \
> tab)
>
> You were spot on.  The command line tools needed updating. Sorry about that.  It \
> didn't even occur to me to check.  Thank you.

Great to hear that that was the problem. That's something to include in the \
installation instructions, and with some luck I'll be able to reproduce this in a VM \
as that would make it possible to tweak the setup.py script to give a nice error \
message instead of the rather unhelpfull one you got.

Ronald