List:       pythonmac-sig
Subject:    Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] building python from source as 64-bit universal on	g5 powermac with gcc-4.2
From:       Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren () mac ! com>
Date:       2012-11-02 9:26:18

On 2 Nov, 2012, at 7:53, Christian Calderon <calderon.christian760@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have asked about this before, but back then I knew nothing about building \
> anything from source. This time I have a little more experience, so maybe I can \
> better describe what's going on? If I run ./configure with no options, it \
> configures fine, and I can make and make install with only sqlite messing up (which \
> I don't even care about). This is good, but the only reason I want to build from \
> source is to have a 64-bit version of python that can use more of my ram for an \
>                 image manipulation project I am working on. but when I try
> ./configure --enable-universalsdk --with-universal-archs=64-bit
> the configure fails when it is checking the size of different types. This also \
> fails with 'all'  or 3-way as the arch type This is the output right before the \
> configure fails
> checking size of int... 0
> checking size of long... 0
> checking size of void *... 0
> checking size of short... 0
> checking size of float... 0
> checking size of double... 0
> checking size of fpos_t... 0
> checking size of size_t... configure: error: in \
>                 `/Users/Administrator/Downloads/Python-2.7.3':
> configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (size_t)
> See `config.log' for more details

This doesn't look right, the sizes of basic types are larger than 0 bytes. Does your \
compiler work, in particular: can gcc create x86_64 and ppc64 binaries on your \
machine?

What's in config.log? In particular the error message around the lines about \
computing sizeof size_t.

> I know that 64-bit python on powermacs isn't supported. I just want to know if \
> anyone has seen this before and/or has any tips to point me towards a successful \
> build. Please don't tell me "Get an Intel mac". that's not helpful :p Thanks!

64-bit python on powermacs should work, but most (if not all) core devs do not have \
access to these machines.  The only ppc machine I have is an old G4 imac and that \
can't run 64-bit code at all

> P.S. I tried with --enable-universalsdk=/ and It pretended to build and install \
> fine, but when I tried arch -ppc64 python2.7, i got

That' s expected, this defaults to 32-bit only executables (ppc and i386).

> arch: posix_spawnp: python2.7: Bad CPU type in executable
>
> Again, does anyone know why this is? Is there a better directory for me to use for \
> --enable-unversalsdk? And if I make gcc an alias for gcc-4.2 in my .bash_profile, \
> does that change what make uses when it tries to use gcc? I have had problems with \
> gcc before (it is version 4.0.1 on my computer) but gcc-4.2 has fixed my problems \
> before. Any tips or ideas? Don't be afraid to be technical in answers, or to point \
> me to references.  Thanks again for any help!

If you only need PPC64 support you could try:

./configure CFLAGS="-O2 -arch ppc64" LDFLAGS="-arch pp64"

Ronald