List:       pythonmac-sig
Subject:    [Pythonmac-SIG] PytDev intro documentation review?
From:       richard k belew <rik () cogsci ! ucsd ! edu>
Date:       2010-12-29 21:13:23

i'm getting ready to teach a Python-based intro programming
course, and i've committed to a development stack
leading to PyDev on Eclipse.  (yes, my sanity has already
been questioned.)

if this class is like most others, most kids will come
in with Windoz laptops, but some with Macs, and (long
shot) maybe even a Linux user or two.  So i've written
up some instructions for getting their environments
put together, at:

http://cogs18.edurik.org/syllabus/resources/installation-of-python-eclipse-pydev-environment

i'm wondering if members of this experienced list might
give it a read and see if they can suggest any sources
of confusion i might avoid?

in particular, if you look at

http://cogs18.edurik.org/syllabus/resources/installation-of-python-eclipse-pydev-environment#section-1

Item#3 has to do with the Mac install of Python.  here
i lay out two alternatives, one using the standard system
installed Python and the other installing the standard Python
release.  since my ultimate goal is to simply get the PyDev
plugin for Eclipse operational, and PyDev says it'll work
with any Python >= 2.1, this SEEMs safe.

do y'all agree?  any other suggestions?

the students-to-come thank you!

	Rik