List:       pythonmac-sig
Subject:    Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Import AppKit (pyobjc) and Cocoa-Python Debug
From:       Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren () mac ! com>
Date:       2008-03-28 11:29:50

On Friday, March 28, 2008, at 12:02PM, "Dongpyo Hong" <dhong@gist.ac.kr> wrote:
> I installed the python-2.5.2 dmg from pythong.org and yes it
> installed /Library/Frameworks/...
> And I copied it to /System/Library/Frameworks/.. (I removed /
> System/... at first, and copied /Library/...)
>
> Hmm... reinstall? which one? XCode or Leopard ?

You'll have to reinstall at least part of Leopard, Python is used by the system \
(earlier versions used Python in the PDF workflow, on OSX 10.5 server some components \
are written in Python, ...).

As a general rule you should never replace components of the OS in the /System tree \
(and likewise for the unixy bits in /usr), that part of the system is "owned" by \
Apple and does not contain user-serviceable parts.

> By the way, why I cannot import AppKit and other stuffs? It is because
> of the deletion?

Yes, the AppKit and other bits are not part of the normal Python distribution, but \
are addons.

Ronald