List:       pythonmac-sig
Subject:    Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] py2app producing extremely large file?
From:       "Bob Ippolito" <bob () redivi ! com>
Date:       2007-02-16 23:19:22

On 2/16/07, Chuck Burns <break19@pubbox.net> wrote:
> I currently ran py2app on some source I was given, and it generated a
> 40Meg file, whereas the py2exe windows executable was only around 8
> or 9 megs.. what gives, and how can I shrink it down?
>
> python2.5
> wxPython 2.8
> py2app 0.3.5
>
> Mac OS X 10.4.8

That's pretty much expected, but not usually to quite that degree.
py2app pulls in more things by default than py2exe does so that it
more reliably produces an application that works. Most of the files
are going to be more than 2x larger because they're all compiled for
PPC and x86 (PPC code is larger than x86 code).

Once you compress it for distribution it should be a much more reasonable size.

-bob