List:       pythonmac-sig
Subject:    Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] SWIG Install problem.
From:       Louis Pecora <pecora () anvil ! nrl ! navy ! mil>
Date:       2005-12-07 21:57:12

Rob Managan wrote:

> Since crazy things happen I will ask. I assume that you can run gcc
> from the command line?

Yes.  Just tried it.

> Next question. What shell are you running? Mine is set to tcsh but
> newer Macs tend to run bash.

I typed "shell" and it came back:  tcsh: shell: Command not found.  My
terminal prefs also show tsch.

> The first lines that were different in the configure output seems to
> refer to the script in Tools/config/missing. Try running it as
>
> Tools/config/.missing --help

Did that (without the . in front of missing) and got:

louispec% Tools/config/missing --help
Tools/config/missing [OPTION]... PROGRAM [ARGUMENT]...

Handle `PROGRAM [ARGUMENT]...' for when PROGRAM is missing, or return an
error status if there is no known handling for PROGRAM.

  -h, --help      display this help and exit
  -v, --version   output version information and exit
  --run           try to run the given command, and emulate it if it fails

Supported PROGRAM values:
  aclocal      touch file `aclocal.m4'
  autoconf     touch file `configure'
  autoheader   touch file `config.h.in'
  automake     touch all `Makefile.in' files
  bison        create `y.tab.[ch]', if possible, from existing .[ch]
  flex         create `lex.yy.c', if possible, from existing .c
  help2man     touch the output file
  lex          create `lex.yy.c', if possible, from existing .c
  makeinfo     touch the output file
  tar          try tar, gnutar, gtar, then tar without non-portable flags
  yacc         create `y.tab.[ch]', if possible, from existing .[ch]

***  I  GOT  IT !    Well, partially  ***************

The above along with the ./configure output gave me the clue.  I had
folders (directories) with spaces in the names and Mac type characters.
I changed all names in the path to the SWIG folder to be Unix compatible
and the ./configure ran properly.

Except I still have g++ for gcc and the 'make' step still gives the same
error:

louispec% make
make  all-am
depbase=`echo CParse/cscanner.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`; \
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -I../Source/Include -I../Source/CParse
-I../Source/Include -I../Source/DOH -I../Source/CParse
-I../Source/Preprocessor -I../Source/Swig -I../Source/Modules -g -O2
-Wall -W -ansi -pedantic -MT CParse/cscanner.o -MD -MP -MF
"$depbase.Tpo" -c -o CParse/cscanner.o CParse/cscanner.c; \
then mv -f "$depbase.Tpo" "$depbase.Po"; else rm -f "$depbase.Tpo"; exit
1; fi
In file included from CParse/cscanner.c:18:
parser.y:1252: error: parse error before `throw'
parser.y:1266: error: parse error before `throw'
make[2]: *** [CParse/cscanner.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [source] Error 2
Exit 2

**** Sigh *****************************

> Configure seems to not be able to find it or thinks it is outdated.
> Maybe you have a newer version of the autotools software than I do but
> I doubt that since it comes with the system software.

I'm using the latest SWIG:  1.3.27

> more later, I have to run to a talk

Thanks for the help.  At least I'm part of the way there.  Enjoy the talk.

--
Cheers,

Lou Pecora

Code 6362