List:       python-list
Subject:    Re: Command prompt not shown when running Python script with subprocess on Windows
From:       ps16thypresenceisfullnessofjoy () gmail ! com
Date:       2014-05-29 19:21:00

That's interesting, now I learned something else too. As I said before, though, I \
want users to be able to enter paths in the XML file exactly the way they would be \
entered in a Windows shortcut. (Actually, my program currently only has one Windows \
user, for whom I develop it [I don't even use it myself :-0].)

Since in a Windows shortcut you don't need to put quotes around a path that doesn't \
contain spaces, I want to follow that behavior in my program as well.

So actually, I see that the line:

<app name="LibreOffice Writer">"%ProgramFiles%\LibreOffice 4\program\swriter.exe" \
"C:\Users\Timothy\Documents\myfile.odt"</app>

should instead be:

<app name="LibreOffice Writer">"%ProgramFiles%\LibreOffice 4\program\swriter.exe" \
C:\Users\Timothy\Documents\myfile.odt</app>

because there are no spaces in the second path, but there is a space in the first \
one.

So I guess I'll still have to do my "shlex dance" (which for some reason I keep on \
mistyping as "shlex dane" :-)) unless I can learn a better way to do it.

Also, is my calling os.path.expandvars only on the first argument a good idea? I want \
to accept environment variables in my program, but I don't want to call \
os.path.expandvars on all the arguments, because I want to let other programs take \
care of parsing their own arguments.

I'm just wondering if I should relook at the whole way that I am doing things here. \
Maybe it would be better to just use shlex.split and subprocess.Popen and not try to \
follow the behavior of Windows shortcuts so closely? (But then it might be hard for \
some Windows users to understand how to use the program if I didn't.) What do you \
                think?