List:       python-list
Subject:    Re: Nasty gotcha/bug in heapq.nlargest/nsmallest
From:       Raymond Hettinger <python () rcn ! com>
Date:       2008-05-31 3:46:07

On May 15, 12:06 am, Peter Otten <__pete...@web.de> wrote:
> According
> to my ad hoc test you need <, <=, and == for nlargest()/nsmallest() to
> work:

In Py2.6 and after, you only need < and ==.  I replaced the LE tests
with LT to match list.sort() and bisect.bisect().  The == arises
because nlargest/nsmallest compare decorated tuples.  Tuple comparison
always starts with equality tests to find the first unequal element
and then switches back to testing whichever inequality test was
requested.

Raymond