List:       python-list
Subject:    Re: PEP 354: Enumerations in Python
From:       Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam () benfinney ! id ! au>
Date:       2006-03-01 1:37:26

Ben Finney <bignose+python@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> PEP:            354
> Title:          Enumerations in Python
> Version:        $Revision: 42186 $
> Last-Modified:  $Date: 2006-01-26 11:55:20 +1100 (Thu, 26 Jan 2006) $

Most people seem to be unopposed or in favour of some kind of
enumeration mechanism making it at least as far as the standard
library.

As I understand it, the current outstanding debates are::

  * Builtin types versus stdlib module (maybe 'collections')

  * Ordered sequences versus unordered iterables

  * Immutable versus mutable

  * Bad comparisons: raise exception versus return NotImplemented

  * Terminology for each of these concepts

Any new issues before I make a revised draft?

--
 \       "It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once."  |
  `\                                                     -- David Hume |