List:       python-list
Subject:    RE: [path-PEP] Path inherits from basestring again
From:       "Meyer, Tony" <T.A.Meyer () massey ! ac ! nz>
Date:       2005-07-27 4:37:45

> > > Do people really like using __div__ to mean join?
> >
> > I think the '+' is used as a join for both strings and lists, so it
> > would probably be the better choice as far as consistency with the
> > language is concerned.
>
> The issue with that is that as long as we are subclassing
> strings, the + is already defined for a useful operation
> and the subclass probably shouldn't be changing the way that works.

But a Path isn't a string, it's string-like.  I presume (but am too lazy to check) \
that at the moment using '+' on two Paths gives a Path that concatenates the __str__ \
versions of the Paths, like:

> > > Path("/foo/bar") + Path("/cat/dog")
Path("/foo/bar/cat/dog")

I can see that this would make sense in some situations, but ISTM that it would make \
a great deal more sense (and be much more intuitive) to have concatenation include \
the separator character (i.e. be join).

=Tony.Meyer