List:       python-ldap-dev
Subject:    Re: python-ldap-2.0
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6der?= <michael () stroeder ! com>
Date:       2000-12-19 7:31:22

David Margrave wrote:

> What would be cool is if python-ldap could not only accept unicode
> strings, but also automatically apply the language tag when
> creating or modifying attributes (i.e. cn;lang-de).

I don't think that the C module should do high-level operations like
this. I can imagine that it's worth to write a Python class for it -
contributions and detailed suggestions welcome. But let's stick to
things found in OpenLDAP 2.0's ldap.h first.

> Also, I haven't seen any discussion of SSL support.  I for one would
> like
> the module to be able to do an SSL handshake to port 636 (or whatever it
> is) to protect the credentials when simple auth is being used.

OpenLDAP 2 has support for LDAP via SSL (URL scheme ldaps:// -> port
636) and LDAP with STARTTLS.

> It would also be cool to get the Kerberos V5 GSS-API SASL mechanism
> going.

OpenLDAP supports SASL (not only Kerberos) if build with the Cyrus
SASL lib.

> I'm interested in doing the work to add these features.

Great! Please take a closer look at OpenLDAP 2.0.x.

Ciao, Michael.