List:       python-ldap-dev
Subject:    "Couldn't find LDAP library" error on configure
From:       J B Bell <cipher () redback ! com>
Date:       2000-12-06 18:55:35

Hello, I'm getting this error on builds with the same source files on
different operating systems, to with:

Solaris 2.7 and Debian GNU/Linux 2.2r1 (kernel is 2.2.17)
Both openldap-2.0.7 and openldap-1.2.11

Even with --with-ldap-lib and --with-ldap-inc set appropriately, I am still
getting:

checking for ldap_open... no
configure: error: Couldn't find LDAP library
  Please specify the location of the LDAP library using either --with-ldap=DIR,
  --with-ldap-lib=PATH/lib, or --with-ldap-inc=PATH/include options.  You
  may also need to specify where the Kerberos libraries are if the LDAP
  library needs to be linked against that.

The suggested openldap.sh script fails, even with editing to fix the out-
dated filenames, I think because I am behind a firewall (ftplib, for example,
only works if I do a set_pasv(1)).

I'm hoping this is something obvious, and tried searching the archive, but
didn't find anything.  Please forgive this humble supplicant's ignorance
and help to light his way.  I am just starting with python and rather dig
it, so I hope to get this going to move on to bigger & better things.

--JB
Redback Networks