List:       python-ldap-dev
Subject:    Connection pooling (was: defect)
From:       Michael_Ströder <michael () stroeder ! com>
Date:       2002-06-29 12:00:48

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 09:49:14AM -0700, Joe Little wrote:
>
> | do not permit concurrent access to a single LDAP session (ie. use
> | one per thread or a mutex around it).
>
> (FWIW)
> This sounds perfectly acceptable to me.
> Making a separate connection for each thread is likely to reduce
> contention anyways (improves performance).

This remembers me of an old idea I had to implement persistent
LDAP connection pooling with Queue.Queue found in Python's
standard lib.

E.g. if a HTTP server serves HTTP requests with 100 active threads
you're not really keen to open a LDAP connection per thread because
1. your system ressources might get exhausted (e.g. file handles)
2. opening a connection is very slow (e.g. when initializing
attributes read from RootDSE, SSL negotiation, SASL binds, etc.).

Ciao, Michael.