List:       python-idle-dev
Subject:    Re: [Idle-dev] multiprocessing module and IDLE without subprocess
From:       "Tal Einat" <taleinat () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-02 16:10:47

Weeble wrote:
> I'm also curious why IDLE uses sockets to communicate with the
> subprocess in the first place. Are other forms of IPC not suitable?

Generally speaking, using sockets is the most portable form of IPC
across all platforms. You'll see that most RPC libraries use sockets,
if not all of them. (IDLE uses a custom RPC mechanism to communicate
with the sub-process). And communicating via sockets is certainly fast
enough for IDLE's needs.