List:       python-ideas
Subject:    [Python-ideas] Typing Callable Ellipsis -- support for type hints a la Callable[[int, float, ...], N
From:       "Randolf Scholz" <randolf.scholz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-09-21 15:13:06

Dear Python community,

type hinting is awesome! But recently I stumbled upon the following:
I was writing a dictionary of functions that all share a common signature, in that \
the first two arguments were the same type. However, the functions could differ in \
the remaining arguments (positional / keyword)

When trying to type hint as `Callable[[int, float, ...], None] `, which felt very \
natural at the time, mypy complained: `error: Unexpected "..."`.

I propose to support type hints a la

- Callable[[type1, type2, ..., typeN, ...], ReturnType]
- Callable[[..., type1, type2, ..., typeN], ReturnType]

which should match any callable with matching type hints for the first/last N inputs. \
(with some special treatment for functions with *args or **kwargs of course).

Best regard, Randolf.