List:       python-ideas
Subject:    Re: [Python-ideas] Python 3.4 should include docopt as-is
From:       Vladimir Keleshev <vladimir () keleshev ! com>
Date:       2013-09-30 18:58:53

Thanks for notifying me, and sorry for the late reply.

I think it would be awesome if docopt became part of the
standard library. However, it's not ready yet. I expect
1.0.0 to be released not earlier than 2014. When it's ready
I will definitely write a PEP.

According to the schedule the "feature freeze" will occur
on Nov 24, 2013 together with 3.4.0 beta 1 release. If
"feature freeze" means no new things in standard library,
then, neither docopt, nor PEP will be ready by that time.

Seems like docopt will need to wait another 2 years.

But don't lose harts, docopt 1.0.0 will be much better, the
language will be much more predictable and simple, the
error messages will be much more clear, it will be more
parseable and portable. That's why I think it is worth it
to wait.

Getopt is now about 33 years old and still widely used; So
I want docopt to be ready for the year 2046.

Cheers,
Vladimir Keleshev