List:       python-ideas
Subject:    Re: [Python-ideas] Have os.unlink remove junction points on Windows
From:       Kim_Gräsman <kim.grasman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-09-29 9:52:52

Nick,

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan@gmail.com> wrote:

> My recollection is that permissions around junction points are a little
> weird at the Windows OS level (so the access denied might be genuine for a
> regular user account), but if a patch can make os.unlink handle them more
> like *nix symlinks, that sounds reasonable to me.

Just to follow up on this: I found a lot of Win32-specific code in
Lib/test/symlink_support.py to detect whether the current user has the
SeCreateSymbolicLink privilege (privileges in Windows are permissions
not bound to a resource, rather like global access flags). So I think
the "little weird" applies more to symbolic links than to junction
points. At least I can't find any privileges that apply to junction
points as such.

There is a blurb on MSDN about the system-provided junction points
from C:\Documents and Settings\... -> C:\Users\..., but that seems to
concern actual file system object permissions for those specific paths
rather than something general around junction points.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb968829(v=vs.85).aspx

Cheers,
- Kim