List:       python-edu-sig
Subject:    Re: [Edu-sig] the idea of "CS-friendly" algebra courses...
From:       kirby urner <kirby.urner () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-13 23:12:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM, A. Jorge Garcia <calcpage@aol.com> wrote:

> I have a similar problem in AP Computer Science. That course has required
> Java since 2003. Frankly, I wish they would have stayed with C++ which we
> used from 1999-2002 (a vast improvement over Pascal 1984-1998). I wish
> they'd use python now!
>
> I've been using a combination of SAGE and pure Python in my introCS course
> for some time now. We start the year with SAGE and Discrete Mathematics
> using the Litvin text.:
> http://skylit.com/mathandpython.html

This all sounds like heaven in a lot of ways, the IntroCS course I'd wish
for students today.

But you can't give them a year of math credit for all of this right?

It's Computer Stuff and that's elective i.e. you still need your three
years in math on top of any Python.

In Oregon, that seems to be changing.

Take Geometry, Algebra and then something like your course, to finish their
math requirements.

You may also take more conventional math course, naturally.

Kirby