List:       python-edu-sig
Subject:    [Edu-sig] Elementary graphics library
From:       delza () livingcode ! org (Dethe Elza)
Date:       2006-05-30 18:53:38

"The full set of Ginsu 2D interfaces for only $9.95 a month?  But
wait, there's more..."

Mirra
http://www.ixi-software.net/content/body_software_mirra.html
"Mirra is a 2D openGL python library. It defines a set of classes to
render primitive shapes (Text, Pixel, Line, Circle, Rect, Bitmap,
BitmaPolygon) and manages rendering and user input (mouse and
keyboard). Mirra focuses on interaction and implements an event
listener and classes that receive mouse events. (in a way like
macromedia director or flash do).
It runs using pygame(SDL) but it can also be used under wxPython.
Mirra is also thought to teach students (basically design and
multimedia students) programming in python by playing around with
graphics."

SVGDraw
http://www2.sfk.nl/svg
Create SVG (XML for 2D) images using Python.

> My head is spinning. :-)

Just wait till we delve into 3D %-)

> Just a thought: rather than a new GUI implementation, improving the Python
> GUI FAQ with lots of this information and pros and cons and so on might be
> a very valuable effort just by itself.

I think this is an excellent idea.

> So much of choices depends on
> specifics and tiny details. For example, I'm fairly happy with wx, but
> there is this bug with dragging certain widgets under GTK 2.6.

I haven't used wx for some time, but when I did it a) sucked on OS X,
and b) seemed to be a random mix of reasonably polished widgets and
half-baked crap that would be as useful as writing your resume in
crayon.  It also suffers from being huge and very Windows-focused. I
can understand using it on Windows (beats using MFC, but so does
hitting yourself with a ball-peen hammer), but I think it goes
downhill as you move to Linux and drops off the cliff when you go to
OS X.  Just my impression, though I've seen the same feelings
expressed elsewhere.  I'd sooner use PyGame, and PyGame sucks for
general UI/event handling (by itself, there are libraries on top of
PyGame which help).

Of all the systems, I think PyCairo has the most momentum (and also
has OpenGL hardware acceleration). Mozilla and GTK are both moving to
Cairo, so it's getting lots of real-world use, profiling, bug-fixing,
and speed-ups. This makes it a bit of a moving target, but the APIs
should be fairly stable even though the implementation is in flux.

Caveat emptor. I haven't spent a lot of time with any of these (on the
Mac I can access Quartz from Python, which works for me).  I'm
planning to explore further for an article or blog at some point, but
any recommendations I make at this point have to be taken with a huge
grain of salt.

And of
> course, I also want platform independent fonts (and I'm not sure how to
> get those best, wx uses sizers to get platform independent dialog looks,
> but the sizes may still vary across platforms). Maybe this 2D, 3D, and
> Python GUI efforts needs a web site or blog or something? Some place where
> the nitty gritty details gets hashed out? Might be one already? Kind of
> like this one for programming languages?
>      http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/

Maybe just the Python Wiki?
http://wiki.python.org/moin/

> But specific to Python and graphics and user interaction?
>    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=python+graphics
> Might be something to think about if it does not already exist.
>
> --Paul Fernhout

--Dethe