List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    [Distutils] older pypi packages
From:       Robin Becker <robin () reportlab ! com>
Date:       2018-12-18 13:54:11

I recently had to rebuild a server and find that pip 18.1 is apparently unable to \
install at least some older packages eg

> $ bin/pip install fcrypt
> Collecting fcrypt
> Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement fcrypt (from versions: )
> No matching distribution found for fcrypt

the version I needed is in fact the last released 1.3.1  (in 2004) and it was \
installed by an earlier pip. I tried being more explicit

> $ bin/pip install fcrypt==1.3.1
> Collecting fcrypt==1.3.1
> Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement fcrypt==1.3.1 (from \
> versions: ) No matching distribution found for fcrypt==1.3.1

I assume that latest pip needs information from the package / pypi data that is not \
available. Luckily installing from a pypi  download works.

Is there any legacy mode in pip? It seems wrong to cause these older packages to \
                become unusable.
--
Robin Becker