List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    [Distutils] Re: Intent to add a "Packaging" category to discuss.python.org
From:       Donald Stufft <donald () stufft ! io>
Date:       2018-11-04 1:05:25

> On Nov 3, 2018, at 5:16 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Which is largely irrelevant, as this is much less about decision
> makers and much more about building consensus. I don't know how we
> build any form of consensus if the whole community isn't communicating
> in a shared discussion :-(

Honestly. I'm not that worried about it. I suspect whoever is making some particular \
decision whether that is me, you, or some new system that one of the governance PEPs \
will come up with will have some preferred location for discussion regarding the \
decisions that decision making authority makes.

Beyond that I don't really think anything has changed. It was already the case that \
discussion gets spread over multiple venues. As an example, the PEP 440 discussion \
spread over distutils-sig, a PR to the packaging repo, IRC, Twitter (both public and \
DMs), and private email threads. I don't think that PEP 440 was unique in that \
regards. Generally whenever the "official discussion" is happening will have people \
summarizing from the other locations where discussion is happening to bolster their \
own argument or provide context.

This might end up that PyPI PEPs have their "official discussion" area to be \
discourse and the Interoperability PEPs have their "official discussion" continue to \
be disutils-sig and each of us is going to have a harder time participating in the \
other kind of PEP. I don't think that's a resolvable problem though. It's also \
possible that nobody follows me over to the new place and I'm left to discuss there \
alone and I'll be forced to continue to follow this mailing list or be shut out of \
discussions completely (or the reverse that everyone else will like the new forum and \
won't want to even use distutils-sig at all and you'll be forced to adapt or be shut \
out).

I think it's likely that discussions will happen both places, at least for awhile and \
then one or the other will wither away. I dunno. I tried to be pretty explicit that \
I'm not trying to shut down disutils-sig for the people who prefer it, I'm just \
personally slowly losing my ability to follow mailing list threads at all without \
burning myself out. So I'm trying to see if I can use a discussion forum that suits \
me better. If people find that useful great. If not— well at least I tried. I don't \
                begrudge anyone who wants to continue to use a different forum.