List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    Re: [Distutils] PBR/distutils2 with pep517 Support Was: Conditionless setup.py
From:       Jeremy Stanley <fungi () yuggoth ! org>
Date:       2017-08-28 20:21:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 2017-08-28 17:48:40 +0000 (+0000), Daniel Holth wrote:
> Imo PBR is entirely a setuptools creature, without special
> concerns to operate in pep517 land. If I were them I'd rewrite it
> to not require setup.py and call that pbr2.
[...]

While it's true that PBR relies on setuptools entrypoints _today_,
the expectation is that it will also grow a PEP 517
build-system.build-backend compliant interface once the spec is
officially approved. At least one problem with "just rewrite it" is
that we expect to support people using old (pre-517) versions of pip
for years to come, so will likely end up with some sort of hybrid
implementation for as long as backwards compatibility needs to be
maintained.

It may also end up coupled with some manner of pre-build wrapper to
consume/transform existing static metadata and emit a suitable
pyproject.toml file, though that's for social reasons as much as
anything.
--=20
Jeremy Stanley