List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    Re: [Distutils] Mirroring PyPI JSON Locally
From:       Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-08-24 5:58:15

On 24 August 2017 at 13:59, Cooper Ry Lees <me@cooperlees.com> wrote:
> Thanks all for your points.
>
> Is it fine if I get a Informational PEP going to discuss 'Metadata Repository API'? \
> I will structure it similar to PEP503, but also talk about:
> - The data exposed today (Specification)

+1

> -- And possibly call on some PyPI people to correct me where I guess wrong

Yep, that's part of the PEP review process - to indicate this, use the
same BDFL-Delegate and Discussions-To values as are in PEP 503.

> - How mirrors should mirror it

In particular, it would be ideal if they could generate it themselves
from the already mirrored PEP 503 data, rather than having to make
additional API calls to the main PyPI server.

> - Possible furure enhancements (JSONLD etc.)

Discussion of future enhancements doesn't really belong in an
Informational PEP. Instead, I've filed
https://github.com/pypa/packaging-problems/issues/102 as a common
place for folks to put notes about what they may want to see in a
possible future API.

Cheers,
Nick.

--