List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    Re: [Distutils] How to sign a exe created with bdist_wininst?
From:       Paul Moore <p.f.moore () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-04-18 17:39:10

On 18 April 2015 at 18:27, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be safer for the stub to work correctly in the presence of a
> signature? Presumably it could use a different algorithm to locate the
> archive directory, rather than just expecting it to be at the end of the
> file.

It's the definition of the zip format which mandates that you seek
from the end of file to get the directory. Sure, bdist_wininst could
write its own code based on its current zip extraction code, but the
fact that wininst files are zip files is used elsewhere (wheel convert
uses it, and I have used it to investigate wininst files by opening
them in 7-zip).

Paul