List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    Re: [Distutils] it's happened - wheels without sdists (flit)
From:       Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-03-31 23:03:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 1 Apr 2015 00:53, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not quite that simple, I know. But until we work out how to do
> something useful with a sdist that we can't do with a dev checkout,
> it's hard to justify treating sdists specially.

I see it as more a matter of eventually migrating to a "devdir -> sdist ->
wheel -> installed" build & deployment pipeline, where the tools used at
each stage are only required to support the transition to the next stage
rather than having to support the whole pipeline as setuptools does.
(setup.py support would necessarily remain as a backwards compatibility
requirement)

The 3 transitions (devdir -> sdist, sdist -> wheel, wheel -> installed) may
then not only be executed separately, but can also reduce the combinatorial
complexity of what needs to be tested from a tooling perspective.

(Whether there's a standard "devdir -> local dev build" command can be
considered independently of the design of the distribution & deployment
pipeline itself)

Cheers,
Nick.