List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    Re: [Distutils] Correct way to include (debian) program icons.
From:       Just Fill Bugs <mozbugbox () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2011-10-25 9:08:54

On 09/16/2011 12:50 AM, Mac Ryan wrote:

> 	having an icon for a running program it's hardly
> a debian-specific thing: more or less any OS have icons for
> programs, so it seemed a candidate good enough to have been put in the
> abstraction layer represented by setup.py.

I'm thinking subclass the install command to write a myapp_config.py
file which contains all the installation options. The myapp_config.py
should then be installed with the program package.

In the program, just import myapp_config and find application data under

   os.path.join(myapp_config.prefix, "share/myapp/pixmaps/....")

Don't know how to make this sheme works with .eggs.

Most python GUI programs use some crude hacks to find their UI data.
Others simply use Makefile files.

All the distutil documents/tutorials avoid to talk about this problem.