List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    Re: [Distutils] Buildout 1.5.0 and friends released (was Re:
From:       Gary Poster <gary.poster () canonical ! com>
Date:       2010-08-24 14:01:32

On Aug 23, 2010, at 7:13 PM, Sebastien Douche wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 17:43, Gary Poster <gary.poster@canonical.com> wrote:
> > I have merged the betafix branch to trunk and made the releases of zc.buildout \
> > 1.5.0, zc.recipe.egg 1.3.0, and z3c.recipe.scripts 1.0.0.
>
> Awesome! For the next release, can you add a note on each new
> functionality in the documentation (something like "new in 1.5") ?
> It's hard to see the changes.

...maybe... :-)

What's the goal?  I think that the main things end users ought to know about are \
these.

(1) How does the system Python support work? See \
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/1.5.0#system-python-and-zc-buildout-1-5 .  It \
links out to http://pypi.python.org/pypi/z3c.recipe.scripts .

(If you really want to get into the nitty gritty you can see \
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/1.5.0#the-sitepackage-safe-scripts-function \
and the following two sections, but I'm not sure it's worth highlighting.  That's \
maintainer-y information and in my perfect world would not be on the main end-user \
PyPI page.  Sorry, I didn't work on improving the docs. :-) )

(2) How do you get alpha/beta releases of zc.buildout and friends in the future?  You \
can use python bootstrap.py -t or specify a specific version, as mentioned in the \
CHANGES (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/1.5.0#id9).  I figure that's \
something that will be emphasized the next time someone wants help testing a beta \
release, and it doesn't need too much discussion now.

(3) Can you use Python 2.7?  Yes, see CHANGES \
(http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/1.5.0#id9).

I did other stuff, but it was mostly internal bits related to those things.  \
Well...maybe mentioning the new bootstrap features would be nice (they are mentioned \
in CHANGES), and mentioning the new output when running buildout with -v that shows \
you what packages came from site-packages, if any (I forgot to talk about that, \
though it is tested).

Anyway...

> Thanks Gary for the release.

Thanks for the thanks.