List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    [Distutils] setuptools install --dry-run broken?
From:       Jim Fulton <jim () zope ! com>
Date:       2010-04-22 18:54:41

In researching an old ZODB bug about it's setup.py breaking the
install --dry-run option, I tried using the option with the current
ZODB and bobo setup.py scripts, using Python 2.6.5.

In both cases, I didn't get an error and the modules were installed in
site-packages.  While the ZODB setup.py is complicated, bobo's isn't.

Both of these setup.py files used setuptools, so
I assumed this was a bug in setuptools. Then I tried the distutils
example:

  http://docs.python.org/distutils/introduction.html#a-simple-example

running

  python2.6 setup.py install --dry-run

(or python2.6 setup.py install -n)

installed the package.

Am I missunderstanding something? Or is --dry-run an april fool's
joke? :)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton