List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    Re: [Distutils] "just use debian"
From:       Dave Peterson <dpeterson () enthought ! com>
Date:       2008-09-30 21:57:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 30 septembre 2008 à 15:46 -0500, Dave Peterson a écrit :
>
>> Josselin Mouette wrote:
>>
>>> No, please stop here. That's not OK. If a new version of HardJSON breaks
>>> your application, it is friggin' broken. If that new version is not
>>> compatible, it should be called HardJSON2, and nothing will break.
>>>
>> I disagree with your assertion that the name HAS to imply API
>> compatibility.   There ought to be something that specifies API / ABI
>> compatibility, such as the combination of name and some portion of a
>> version number,  but too many people depend on a name for marketing or
>> other purposes for us to impose that it indicate technical aspects.
>>

> The marketing name does not have to be the same of the name of the
> module you import. The situation where they differ is even quite common.

But we already have a separation between project name and module names
that are contained within that project.   We don't currently declare
dependencies on the module names but on the project name.   i.e. a
dependency on HardJSON > 2.0 does not say anything about what modules
you're expecting to import or use, only that you expect to use version 2
of a project called HardJSON.   Were you suggesting that change?

I think the rest of the comments are easily resolved after the above is
clear.

-- Dave