List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    Re: [Distutils] Regeneration of source manifest
From:       "Arve Knudsen" <arve.knudsen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-07-26 19:47:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 7/26/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje@telecommunity.com> wrote:

> At 10:51 PM 7/25/2007 +0200, Arve Knudsen wrote:
> >I take it there is no interest in fixing this problem? Or is it
> >simply too much hassle??
> >
> >Arve
> >
> >On 7/10/07, Arve Knudsen <<mailto:arve.knudsen@gmail.com>
> >arve.knudsen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hello
> >
> >As far as I can tell setuptools does not always regenerate the
> >source manifest when MANIFEST.in changes, contrary to what the
> >documentation says. That is, if I add a directive to exclude files
> >with the .txt extension to MANIFEST.in (after having previously
> >including them), and run the sdist command, such files are still
> >included.  I have to remove the .egg-info for things to work as
> >expected. This must clearly be a bug?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Arve Knudsen
>
> Your email got lost in the flurry of PyPI-related emails.  I am
> looking at the code and don't see how this condition could be
> produced, at least not the way you seem to be describing it, because
> the template is processed after the old filelist is read in.  So if
> there are exclusion commands in the template, these should *always*
> be applied to the resulting SOURCES.txt.
>
> Could you give me the exact old MANIFEST.in contents, the new
> MANIFEST.in contents, and the egg-info/SOURCES.txt?
>
> Better yet, can you give me a small setup.py and steps that I can use
> to reproduce the problem?

Sorry, I can't seem to reproduce the exact problem (it doesn't help that I
don't recollect the exact case). What I do notice when testing however, is
that if I first add a directive in MANIFEST.in to include ez_setup.py and
run sdist, remove the directive and run sdist again, ez_setup.py is still in
SOURCES.txt. So it seems that sdist somehow remembers previous include
directives for files that aren't included by default.

Arve