List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    [Distutils] SQLObject and Python 2.2
From:       ianb () colorstudy ! com (Ian Bicking)
Date:       2005-08-24 16:59:34

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Yep.  Trying to build one should tell you what else is missing - like
> zipimport, for example.  Just for the heck of it, I tried building a
> setuptools egg for 2.2 and quickly discovered why I decided to go with
> 2.3 only for setuptools: zipimport isn't in Python 2.2, and can't be
> backported because it's based on PEP 302.  And pkg_resources is PEP
> 302-based right down to the bone.

Maybe it'll be easier then to do:

import sys
if sys.version_info < (2, 3):
     from distutils.core import setup
else:
     from ez_setup import use_setuptools
     use_setuptools()
     from setuptools import setup

I'll also also have to patch distutils to accept the extra keyword
parameters, but that's not a big deal.  That just means I can't use
find_packages, and of course installation under Python 2.2 will be a bit
different, but that's fine.