List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    [Distutils] [Bulk] Re:  Dependencies
From:       pje () telecommunity ! com (Phillip J !  Eby)
Date:       2005-08-13 23:05:10

At 11:18 PM 8/13/2005 +0200, Vincenzo Di Massa wrote:
>Alle 21:08, sabato 13 agosto 2005, Phillip J. Eby ha scritto:
> > At 06:57 PM 8/13/2005 +0200, Vincenzo Di Massa wrote:
> > >If yes where can I find more info? How do setuptools manage it, how can I
> > >access this info?
> >
> > Setuptools lets you declare this information in the setup script; see the
> > setuptools.txt file for details.  The "egg_info" command writes the
> data to
> > a file, that is then read by other commands and also put into the built
> > egg's metadata.
> >
> > This information isn't something really suitable for PyPI, because the
> > setup script is allowed to compute the information dynamically.  (Some
> > dependencies might apply only to a particular platform, for example.)
>
>Is there a a way(API) to interact with this information?
>My goal would be creating a database of correspondences between
>setuptools/PyPI(one day) dependency and debian package names.
>The software I am coding could be used by other packaging systems(rpm?)
>too. To create a package of a python module (immagine an egg inside a deb
>or rpm)
>one could just use setuptools and my code. But I need to resolve
>dependencies: this is why I'll create a database of correspondences.

The "requires()" method of pkg_resources.Distribution objects lets you
obtain a sequence of pkg_resources.Requirement objects for a given physical
distribution.  It can also be used to obtain information about optional
requirements.

I'm in the process of creating a manual for pkg_resources that explains how
to use many of these things; it's pkg_resources.txt in the setuptools CVS,
but so far its information is still very sparse.