List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    [Distutils] bdist_rpm and RPM 2.x
From:       gward () python ! net (Greg Ward)
Date:       2000-06-24 17:44:36

The "bdist_rpm" doesn't work with RPM 2.x.  This means that building
RPMs will only work on Red Hat 6.x -- and presumably any version of
Mandrake (since Mandrake started as a fork of Red Hat 6.0), and recent
SuSE versions as well, but I don't know how recent.

Does anyone care?  I don't anymore, since I finally got around to
upgrading to Red Hat 6.  If compatibility with RPM 2.x matters to you,
then please dig in to the bdist_rpm command, figure out why it doesn't
work, and submit a patch.  Otherwise Distutils will only be able to
build RPMs with RPM 3.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux nerd                                  gward@python.net