List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    [XML-SIG] Re: [Distutils] Disposition of C extensions and packages
From:       akuchlin () mems-exchange ! org (Andrew M !  Kuchling)
Date:       1999-12-19 23:51:15

M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>If you maintain packages with C extensions for several
>platforms, you can simply install the packages under
>the platform subdirs in /usr/local/lib/python1.5 -- one
>copy for every platform. Disk space is no argument anymore
>nowadays.

Hmmm... disk space is no longer a problem, but maintaining those
parallel trees might be a problem; if a bugfix is released as a patch
to Python code, you'd have to apply it to several trees.  On the other
hand, this isn't a very common way of fixing bugs in the Python
community; a .1 release is more common.  So your point is a good one;
this would argue that the Distutils should make it easier to build
things in one tree, and then install things under the right plat-
directory.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered
whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    -- Douglas Adams, _The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy_