List:       python-dev
Subject:    [Python-Dev] Re: New optional dependency
From:       "Gregory P. Smith" <greg () krypto ! org>
Date:       2020-06-23 16:03:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 7:41 AM Elisha Paine <paineelisha@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking at getting TkDND support into tkinter, and have created
> issue40893. However, we are currently considering the practicalities of
> adding a new optional dependency to Python and I was hoping someone
> could help answer the question of: is there a procedure for this?
>
> The problem is that third-party distributors need to be notified of the
> change and edit the package details accordingly. The current idea is
> just to make it very clear on the "what's new" page, however this would
> not guarantee it would be seen, so I am very open to ideas/opinions.
>
> Thanks,
> Elisha

What's New documentation combined with a configure.ac check to
conditionally compile it only when available is sufficient.  (once that
works, also ensuring that the dependency is added to the windows and mac
build setups so our binary builds include it)

It is on the third party distributors to pay attention.  If that worries
you, file your own issues in the debian and fedora trackers and that should
do it.

-gps