List:       python-dev
Subject:    [Python-Dev] Re: New optional dependency - TkDND
From:       Petr Viktorin <encukou () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-06-23 15:03:11

On 2020-06-23 12:14, Elisha Paine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking at getting TkDND support into tkinter, and have created
> issue40893. However, we are currently considering the practicalities of
> adding a new optional dependency to Python and I was hoping someone
> could help answer the question of: is there a procedure for this?
>
> The problem is that third-party distributors need to be notified of the
> change and edit the package details accordingly. The current idea is
> just to make it very clear on the "what's new" page, however this would
> not guarantee it would be seen, so I am very open to ideas/opinions.

Making it clear on "what's new" would work best for me (as a Fedora
packager). I don't think there are many other choices.

Obligatory question: What's the advantage of having TkDND bindings in
the standard library, as opposed to making it a third-party package?
(And perhaps, in the stdlib, making it easier to wrap Tk packages in
general?)

(FWIW, I read linux-sig but didn't get to respond before the python-dev
post. So I'm replying here.)