List:       python-dev
Subject:    Re: [Python-Dev] [python-committers] [RELEASED] Python 3.5.0a3 is now available
From:       Victor Stinner <victor.stinner () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-03-30 8:57:50

Hi,

> On behalf of the Python development community and the Python 3.5 release
> team, I'm thrilled to announce the availability of Python 3.5.0a3.   Python
> 3.5.0a3 is the third alpha release of Python 3.5, which will be the next
> major release of Python.  Python 3.5 is still under heavy development, and
> is far from complete.

Between alpha2 and alpha3, the implementation of the PEP 471
(os.scandir) and 475 (EINTR) made progress. For scandir, os.walk() now
uses os.scandir() internally instead of os.listdir() and so should be
(much) faster.

These PEPs are very dependent on the platform, so I'm interested of
feedback if you get any bug related to these PEPs. For example, Robert
Collins told me that fixtures test started to hang. The reason is that
time.sleep() was modified to restart on EINTR and fixtures test used
an exception handler which expected time.sleep() to return on signal.
The signal handler only modified a flag without raising an exception.
Robert quickly fixed his test.

I started to document EINTR changes in the documentation of each
function, and I added a note in the "Porting to Python 3.5" section of
What's New in Python 3.5:
https://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/3.5.html#porting-to-python-3-5

By the way, Python now always requires a 64-bit signed integer type to
work. Python internal functions now store timestamps as a number of
nanoseconds in a 64-bit integer. It looks to be the case on all
buildbots.

Victor