List:       python-dev
Subject:    Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package
From:       Mike Meyer <mwm () mired ! org>
Date:       2012-01-28 21:49:52

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis@pitrou.net> wrote:

> Le samedi 28 janvier 2012 à 10:46 -0800, Mike Meyer a écrit :
> > Antoine Pitrou <solipsis@pitrou.net> wrote:
> > > You will see people copying recipes found on the internet without
> > > knowing that they rely on unstable APIs.
> >
> > How. About doing them the way we do depreciated modules, and have
> them
> > spit warnings to stderr?  Maybe add a flag and environment variable
> > disable that.
>
> You're proposing that new experimental modules spit warnings when you
> use them?

To be explicit, when the system loada them.

> I don't think that's a good way of promoting their use :)

And importing something from __preview__or __experimental__or whatever won't? This \
thread did include the suggestion that they go into their final location instead of a \
magic module.

> (something we do want to do even though we also want to convey the idea
> that they're not yet "stable" or "fully approved")

Doing it with a message pointing at the page describing the status makes sure users \
read the docs before using them. That solves the problem of using them without \
realizing it.