List:       python-dev
Subject:    Re: [Python-Dev] Thoughts fresh after EuroPython
From:       Michael Foord <fuzzyman () voidspace ! org ! uk>
Date:       2010-07-26 10:02:16

On 26/07/2010 04:42, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Peter Portante
> <peter.a.portante@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> > FWIW: We use Python at Tabblo, straddled across Python 2.5.4 and 2.6.5. They
> > work. And they work well. But we make light use of threads (mostly
> > background I/O handling), and heavy use of multiple processes because we
> > can't take advantage of our multi-core systems otherwise.
> >
> Isn't this an indication that the GIL is, in fact, not (much of) a problem?
>
> I wish those trying to get rid of the GIL well. But it may not be the
> panacea some folks are hoping for. Multi-threaded programming remains
> hard (and removing the GIL might actually make it harder).
>
> Jython and IronPython don't have a GIL, and I think PyPy may not
> either. Does anyone have experience with GIL-free programming in one
> of those?

Oh, and PyPy does have a GIL but the developers say it wouldn't be a
huge amount of work to remove it.

Presumably they would have to add locking in the right places - which
would then impact performance. As PyPy doesn't use reference counting
adding locking shouldn't impact performance as much as previous attempts
with CPython have.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of your \
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all \
NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, \
browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies \
(”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, \
licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights \
and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from \
any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.