List:       python-dev
Subject:    Re: [Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X
From:       "R. David Murray" <rdmurray () bitdance ! com>
Date:       2010-06-28 0:00:17

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:52:45 -0000, lutz@rmi.net wrote:
> What I'm suggesting is that extreme caution be exercised from
> this point forward with all things 3.X-related.  Whether you
> wish to accept this or not, 3.X has a negative image to many.
> This suggestion specifically includes not abandoning current
> 3.X email package users as a case in point.  Ripping the rug
> out from new 3.X users after they took the time to port seems
> like it may be just enough to tip the scales altogether.

Catching up on my python-dev email, I just want to clarify this with
respect to email.  (1) I suspect that the new API will be enough of a
carrot that they won't mind converting to it, BUT, (2) the plan is to
provide a compatibility API that will fully support the current Python3
email5 API (but with fewer bugs in areas such as header folding and
unfolding).

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com