List:       python-dev
Subject:    Re: [Python-Dev] scripts, applets,
From:       Ron Adam <rrr () ronadam ! com>
Date:       2010-01-29 8:45:04

David Lyon wrote:
>> Eric Smith wrote:
>>> This discussion probably belongs on the distutils list.
>> Yes, the discussion should be.
>
> Except that distutils doesn't have very much support for doing
> applets or applications. So it's logical to see why most posts which
> ask the same question, often go unanswered there.
>
> Probably better to try on comp.lang.python which is more general. There's
> perhaps a lot more real world experience available there.

I really wasn't asking for myself. The questions were meant to be
suggestions of what I (and others) may find interesting as a PyCon KeyNote.

I was also hoping for a broader overview (as a subject at pycon) rather
than focusing on just zip files, or just pipi, or just distutils, etc.

For example there seems to be a fair amount of confusion in terminology to
describe modules, packages, applets, and applications. Some people
interchange those with each other. Sometimes the differences are blurred
because some applications are installed as a python library modules or
packages.

Full applications may need more or better batteries than smaller applets
do.  So there may be some improvements to the library that can be made.

I'd like to see separate tools for handling library modules, applets, and
applications.  For example a tool to list and install or uninstall library
modules directly from pipi would be great.  A tool to optionally include
non-core library modules into a applet zip file might be useful.  Then of
course to continue improving distutils for the purpose of making things
ready for platform installers would be good. I don't think it is helpful to
try to do to much with one tool.

Yes some of this is already possible.  But I think these things can also be
improved, clarified, and documented better.

Regards,
    Ron