List:       python-dev
Subject:    Re: [Python-Dev] Mercurial?
From:       "Daniel (ajax) Diniz" <ajaksu () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-04-07 18:25:53

Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> One of the nicer features of Mercurial/DVCSs, in my experience, is
> that non-committers get to keep the credit on their patches. That
> means that it's impossible to enforce a policy more extensive than
> some basic checks (such as the format above). Unless we keep a list of
> people who have signed an agreement, which will mean people will have
> to re-do the username on commits that don't constitute a non-trivial
> contribution.

Maybe it'd be better to first replicate the current workflow,
shortcomings and all, then later discuss a new policy? That would mean
no credits for non-commiters should come from the VCS alone: those
come from commit messages, the ACKS file, copyright notices in source,
etc.

BTW, keep in mind some people will prefer to submit diff-generated,
non-hg patches. IMO,  this use case should be supported before the
rich-patch one.

Regards,
Daniel